Monday, April 17, 2006

Eggs and iPods

It was a good weekend, as weekends go. The Space Age Husband offered to take the children out to breakfast while I went to the gym, giving me some extra time to get a good work out in. The three of them dropped me off at the club before heading out for sausages and pancakes. I'd had shredded wheat and had tucked a large bottle of water into my gym bag. (Ah, the price we pay...)

I sweated for a good ninety minutes. When they picked me up, SAH had a fresh hot cup of coffee for me, and a surprise.

My own personal MP3 player. It's not an iPod - it's an iriver - but the former sounded better in the subject line. Didn't it? At any rate, I've been pulled further into the twenty-first century with this most popular of space-age gadgets. I've got four hours' worth of songs loaded up - Scorpions to ABBA to Depeche Mode to Dean Martin - and haven't even made a dent in the available space. In just two days, I've gotten used to the "ear buds." This could work.

Today I sped through sixty minutes of cardio and twenty minutes of strength training without checking the clock seventeen times. Music is magic.

Anyway. After arriving home on Saturday afternoon, my first project - not loading up the iriver - was coloring Easter eggs with the children. Because they wanted to do an egg hunt, a tradition that was not part of my upbringing, we decided to make lots of eggs. Many many eggs. Many many more eggs than I would normally cook and color for a single Easter weekend. I now have more than two dozen eggs to use up. Twelve? Easy. A few deviled eggs and some egg salad. 26? What am I going to do? Egg salad. Deviled eggs. Eggs a la Goldenrod. Creamed eggs on toast. Eggs in potato salad. Eggs in Caesar salad. Purple, yellow, and orange eggs coming out of my ears.

That's an idea. I'll turn them into earrings. I can start a trend.

Right after I bring back new Easter hats for women.

It's going to be an uphill battle. Maybe I'll just pop in the ear buds and go for a run instead.

No comments: