Wednesday, July 05, 2006

"I'm just a bill, I'm only a bill..."

My kids love Schoolhouse Rock. They are watching it right now. We watched it yesterday, too - looking at the American history portions in particular, mindful of the July 4th holiday.

They can sing almost every word to almost every song.

"Lolly, lolly, lolly, get your adverbs here..."

"Conjunction junction, what's your function....?"

"Mr. Morton is the subject, and what the predicate says, he does..."

"Five, ten, fifteen, twenty, twenty-five thirty, thirty-five, forty, forty-five fifty, fifty-five, sixty..."

My son just came downstairs, loudly singing, "Eight times niiiiiiine is seventy-two!"

Yesterday, I told them I used to watch Schoolhouse Rock when I was a child.

"They had that when you were a kid?" my six-year-old daughter asked.

"Yes," I answered. "Way back then."

She paused to consider this.

"On regular TV?" she wanted to know.

"Oh, yes. We only had regular TV when I was little. No cable. No satellite. No tapes. No DVDs. Just regular TV."

"Oh. Did it come on at bedtime?"

"No, it came on between shows on Saturday cartoons and in the afternoons."

"You could only watch cartoons on Saturdays?"

"Saturday morning cartoons. Yes. Cartoons on Saturday only would do you some good."

"What?"

"Never mind."

***

My singing son is now watching me write this, impatiently standing at my elbow and asking for a hot dog bun with Jif. He's looking at my song quotes, telling me repeatedly, "That song is called Naughty Number Nine. Say that, Mom. It's Naughty Number Nine. Put that on there."

He is pleased as punch now to see that I have included his suggestion.

I'm going to the kitchen. Hot dog bun with Jif, anyone?

7 comments:

Gaia said...

My kids make me feel so old. "You couldn't tape your shows? No DVDs? You only had cartoons on Saturdays and only 9 channels?"

I can't believe that boy is reading already. Sheesh, tell him to slow down some.

Kimberly said...

I LOVED Schoolhouse Rock! (I guess you could guess that from my username) That's where I learned the Preamble to the Constitution.
"We the People, in order to form a more perfect union...."

Darnit! I'm going to be singing it all night now!

S.T. said...

Schoolhouse Rock rules!!! I didn't know they were re-playing it again. What channel/time do they show them?

Space Age Housewife said...

Stefanie - it's not on anywhere (that I know of). We have a DVD set that we bought last summer to watch in the car on the long vacation drive. The kids sort of rediscovered the DVD recently and have been watching it every day! :)

Renée said...

Peanut-butter hot dogs are a favorite 'round here too. I didn't realize Schoolhouse Rock was on video, I just assumed they were only songs. We listen to them on Sirius.

josetteplank.com said...

We just had this same exact conversation with our girls, lol!

They just couldn't grasp the fact that you could only watch certain shows at certain times of the day, and that Saturday morning with THE morning.

We have the Schoolhouse Rock DVD, too. Ah...memories.

Dani said...

I didn't know that was on DVD. I will have to check that out. My kids couldn't believe we didn't have e-mail or those cameras without a LCD. Just Polaroids and film cameras! Wasn't that just yesterday?