Monday, June 27, 2005

Happy Birthday to me....!

It's June 27th once again. Birthday time.

This is my fifth birthday in Idaho. My eighth birthday as a married woman. The tail end of my thirties. Funny how "39" seemed so abstract before, never real.

So here it is. 39.

I don't know if I care much for odd-numbered years. I suppose that's odd itself, but I rather like the even-numbered years...34, 36, 38. I especially liked 36 and 38. While 35 conjured up images of the stale, stifled middle-aged housewife, 36 suddenly seemed hip, young, and sexy. 37? Back to dust-mopping drudge in a gingham apron. 38 - hot! Strong! Doing stuff! (What stuff? I don't know. Just...stuff.) So 39 descended at 6:14 central time this morning and...what? Have I taken the express train back to frumpsville?

Maybe.

I've got to stop fooling myself I'm still youthful, though. I do, after all, have an eighteen-year-old daughter. On the other hand, I also have a five-year-old and a three-year-old. I haven't decided whether they keep me young or prematurely age me.

But it's my birthday. So I'll worry about the rest tomorrow.

No comments: