Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Kids and their radar

Someone. Anyone. Explain this to me.

How, exactly, does a child who "can't hear you" from three feet away seem to know instinctively that you have sat down to relax/eat/unwind or what-have-you from all the way across the house?

For an hour they played quietly in the playroom. They put together puzzles, made parades with their Fisher-Price "dudes," read books, and rewound a Wallace & Gromit cassette seventy-eleven times.

The nanosecond I sat down with a plate of pepper crackers and spicy cheese curds, they were all over me like Velcro Monkeys™.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm almost sure it was the wrapper to your crackers. That crinkling noise sets off an internal alarm.

ToledoNative said...

It's a radar they have. I could spend half the day sitting on my butt doing nothing, but as soon as I get on the phone, it's suddenly crisis-ville!