Friday, September 29, 2006

Evil dwells in the supermarket...

During today's grocery shop, I found an evil beyond all evils. Something truly decadent, something that has the potential to wield unfathomable power over me.

It is Pumpkin Spice Egg Nog.

Things were bad enough when the retailers sold egg nog only during the Christmas season - remember when the mistletoe-and-holly cartons began appearing in supermarket refrigerators no sooner than December first? Then they started pushing it back to Thanksgiving. Now? Egg nog is becoming as much a Halloween tradition as it is Christmas, the September and October versions of the cartons featuring pumpkins and silhouettes of witches. I try to avoid buying egg nog before Thanksgiving. I'd like to at least make a pretense of keeping it for Christmas.

But this stuff I had to have. It called me with its spicy siren song, "Take me home!"

It's rich. Creamy. Cinnamon-and-nutmeg-y. An evil to transcend all evils.

And so, so, so good.

It's too early for pumpkins and homemade cinnamon sugar doughnuts and popcorn and hot apple cider in front of the fireplace. And it's much, much too early for egg nog.

Isn't it?


2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh no. This cannot be good for one's diet...

I have got to find this!

Momma Star said...

I caved and bought cider this week. :D