Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The Old Little Girl and the Tooth

My six-year-old daughter finally has a loose tooth. She's among the last of her classmates to experience this particular little thrill, and it's obvious she's excited. Unfortunately, her little thrill comes with an unexpected side effect. It hurts.

She likes to wiggle the tooth with her tongue, but she gets frustrated when that hurts sometimes. She can't eat crunchy food. It's too uncomfortable.

"When will my tooth fall out, Mama?"

"I don't know. Soon."

I explained that if she wiggles it a little bit here and there it will get looser and looser and then fall out.

"Will it fall out when I'm eating?"

"It might."

When I saw her proudly pushing it outward with her tongue, showing off for her brother, I told her I was so excited for her.

"Why?" she asked.

"Because it's your first loose tooth. It's very exciting!"

"I didn't know you were excited. I thought you might be sad because your little girl is growing up."

That kid.

All I could do was hug her. Does she have to be so wordly wise at six?

1 comment:

Space Age Housewife said...

It just fell out this past Friday, so I'd say a couple of weeks. It seemed like much longer, though! :D