Monday, March 20, 2006

So. What's going on?

My husband just called.

"What's going on?" he asked pleasantly.

Let's see. What is going on under Chaos Roof today?

Moments before the phone call, I heard Space Age Girl call out in a pitiful voice, "Mom! Come and help us!" I ran up to the playroom to find every stick and stone of Barbie equipment, four hundred and thirty-three Barbie outfits, five thousand and one Barbie shoes, and a few hundred Barbies littered all over the floor. The two young children were sitting in the green Rubbermaid tote that had once housed the Barbies, crammed in together and apparently stuck. There were three large - very large - drenched spots on the carpet, the result of a tea party held with water from the bathroom sink. The cat screeched in dismay and shot out from under the futon, escaping as soon as the door was opened, leaving a trail of orange hair in his wake.

I rescued the children. I picked up Space Age Boy's jacket from the floor, intending to hang it up in his closet. I stopped short at the threshold to his room. Every DVD in the children's DVD case had been removed. They were all strewn about the floor. Space Age Boy's jeans were on the floor also, as well as his discarded socks. I do not know why there were three discarded socks. To the best of my knowledge, his feet still number just two.

I paused. I went back to the playroom, where the children were busily avoiding putting the Barbie items back into the Rubbermaid tote, and noted that the boy was indeed running around in a t-shirt and a pair of Spongebob underwear. That explained the jeans on the floor.

Returning to the bedroom, I collected each DVD, slid them all back into the case, zipped it shut, and brought it downstairs. I hid it.

Hearing the children running up and down the hallway shouting "Giddyap!" I hollered back up to continue putting the Barbie things away lest the items be confiscated and placed in time out.

"It's too much work!" they yelled simultaneously.

I was rummaging through the pantry for the bottle of Cabernet when the phone rang.

So. What's going on with you?

3 comments:

preTzel said...

LOLOL! Oh man, you have such a way of describing something, that would normally have me gritting my teeth IRL, and making me laugh. I hope the 2 young spaceage kidlets had fun. ;) So, did any of the gazillion barbie stuff get confiscated?

Momma Star said...

So does your husband want to teach my husband why it's not a good idea to come home and announce "This place is a disaster!"

;)

josetteplank.com said...

Heh-heh-heh!

Eh-hem...at least your husband isn't asking "What do you do all day here, anyway?" ;-)

Why does the scenario you mentioned make me suddenly feel not so alone?